Posted by Albert Berenguel - 16 December, 2021
Temperatures are falling, daylight is shortening, and we are all looking forward to our winter holidays. Whether staying at home next to a warm fire or relaxing after a day’s skiing, most of us will find some time to read – maybe a book recommended by a friend or something to broaden our knowledge.Looking back over the blogs we published in 2021, we at Master Builders Solutions have compiled a selection of interesting reads for your vacation. In just a few minutes you can top up your knowledge of waterproofing concrete structures, concrete repair and protection, special flooring solutions or sustainability in construction. There’s no need to carry a heavy book around and you can amaze your colleagues with your breadth of knowledge when you return to work.
We hope you enjoy browsing through our top picks. Please leave us a comment if you have any thoughts or suggestions.
Theme 1: Waterproofing and enhancing durability of concrete. Even the best concrete needs waterproofing when exposed to harsh conditions. In these posts, you will find a summary of solutions and experiences with MasterSeal membranes that waterproof, protect, and extend service life.
- Waterproofing concrete - the simple way to reduce the environmental impact of buildings and concrete structures
- 4 + 1 cases where concrete structures need MasterSeal waterproofing solutions
- In-ground tanks and cisterns
- Embracing the circular economy – high-performing membranes for industrial water treatment plants
- 7 key tips for durable waterproofing using liquid membranes
Theme 2: Concrete repair and protection for aging infrastructures. Infrastructures built in the 1960's and 1970's are reaching 50 years’ service life. What challenges and requirements for maintaining these structures and extending their service life?
- Reconstructing the Fossano viaduct after the collapse due to aging infrastructure
- The urgency of aging infrastructure in our smart and urbanized world
- Refurbishment and protection of busy viaduct in the Czech Republic
- Refurbishing aging dams for sustainable hydropower generation
We also talked to recognized experts to ask them about caring for aging infrastructure
- Part 1 – Interview with Prof. Carmen Andrade
- Part 2 – Interview with Giuseppe Ippolito, Tecnologie Edili e Industriali in Progress S.r.l. (TEIP)
Theme 3: Permeability of membranes to gases: Our series looked at the different requirements, depending on the type of gas and the application. Sometimes a membrane is needed to protect the concrete, and in other cases its role is to prevent a valuable gas from escaping.
- How to prevent Radon gas penetration in concrete structures
- Methane and biogas containment
- Increase insufficient concrete cover to reinforcement using coatings and membranes
- Watertight and water vapour permeable materials - Is that possible?
Theme 4: Antistatic and ESD floors. The impact of even minor electrostatic discharge can have serious consequences, which is why the use of conductive flooring is critical. It prevents damages to products and protects the production environment and the people working in it.
- Antistatic and ESD flooring: standards and testing methods
- Is your shop floor prepared for a smart world?
- Antistatic and ESD floors - What do the experts say?
- Social inclusion organization chooses safe antistatic flooring
- How does flooring from Master Builders Solutions help to control static discharge and its effects?
And one of the most important topics nowadays…
Theme 5: Sustainability in construction. We looked at the sustainability of buildings, highlighting the fact that waterproofing, protecting and repairing concrete are vital from a sustainability perspective because they avoid the need to demolish and re-construct.
- The role of materials for sustainable construction and sustainability information in BIM environment
- Making construction sites greener
- Design, build, use and refurbish – the construction life cycle of sustainable buildings
- Helping Madeira reach the commitment to sustainable energy production
- 3 aspects of green buildings
So, in a year full of challenges, we wish you a relaxing winter vacation. We hope that you enjoy these blogs, recommended by the Master Builders Solutions teams. Do you have any tips for us? We would love to hear from you.